Portland enjoyed its 20th home victory of the season on Saturday night, beating the Spokane Chiefs 6-5 in the shootout. The win marks the Hawks’ first shootout victory of the year.
Eleven different Winterhawks registered at least one point through 65 minutes of hockey, with rookie Cross Hanas leading the way as the first star of the game for his three point night (G-2A), his first three point game in the WHL.
The game featured three tie scores throughout the night, but the Winterhawks persevered in front of an electric crowd of nearly 6,000 fans. Up 5-3 in the third period, Spokane battled back to tie the game and force overtime. Both teams exchanged chances in the high-tempo overtime period, but the game was ultimately decided in a shootout.
Portland scored twice in the three-round shootout, thanks to Reece Newkirk and Jake Gricius, to beat Spokane.
- Eleven different Winterhawks were represented on the stat sheet.
- Lane Gilliss scored the team’s first goal of the night 1:14 after Spokane took the lead. It was his third goal in the last two weeks.
- Haydn Delorme finished with two assists, the first multi-point effort of his WHL career.
- Cross Hanas finished with a goal and two assists, including the go-ahead marker in the second period on the power play. It was his third multi-point game in his WHL career and first ever three-point outing.
- Spokane’s Adam Beckman had a goal and two assists as well, the second time he’s recorded a trio of points in a night during his WHL career. He sits second in the WHL in rookie goal scoring with 22.
- Spokane’s defenseman Nolan Reid scored twice tonight for his second multi-goal performance of the season. Four of Spokane’s five goals came from defensemen.
- John Ludvig scored his third goal of the season and finished as a +3 skater, giving him a Western Conference best +32 rating through 46 games. He was recently named on the NHL’s Midterm Central Scouting List.
- Joel Hofer turned aside five overtime shots and denied two of three shootout attempts to earn his 11th win of the season.
- Reece Klassen relieved starting goaltender Bailey Brkin after two periods of play, and suffered the loss.
THE BOX SCORE (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Joel Hofer with 35 saves and two in the shootout round.
SPO: Bailey Brkin with 15 saves. Reece Klassen with 9 saves and one in the shootout round.