The Portland Winterhawks pushed late in the third period in an attempt to force overtime, but the Tri-City Americans held on to a 3-2 win at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
The Hawks fought hard on Sunday night and they heavily outshot the Americans 47-18, including hitting the post three times throughout the night.
Joachim Blichfeld scored his Western Hockey League leading 40th goal of the year late in the third period to give the Hawks an opportunity to come back, but rookie netminder Talyn Boyko stole the show, collecting his second WHL victory.
The Winterhawks have a chance for redemption Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. in their final home game against the Americans this season. Tri-City improved to 5-0-0-0 this season against Portland.
- Winterhawks forward Josh Paterson skated in his 250th career regular season game in the WHL and his fourth with the Hawks. He has four points in four games with his new team.
- Kyle Olson scored twice in the first period to give the Americans a 2-0 lead heading into the intermission. It was his third multipoint performance in January.
- Tri-City defenseman Aaron Hyman collected a pair of assists and has points in four straight games against the Winterhawks.
- Cross Hanas scored his sixth goal of the season to cut the Americans’ lead in half. It was his first goal since December 11th when he scored two in Victoria.
- Joachim Blichfeld netted his 40th goal of the season and is now three points away from 200 in his WHL career.
- Goaltender Talyn Boyko made his 4th start of his WHL career and stopped a career-high 45 shots in the win.
THE BOX SCORE: (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 15 saves
TC: Talyn Boyko with 45 saves.