The Portland Winterhawks shut out the Prince George Cougars 3-0 for the second time this week as the Hawks won their 22nd annual Les Schwab Teddy Bear Toss game. Alternate captain Lane Gilliss scored his second consecutive Teddy Bear Toss goal, becoming the fourth Winterhawks to ever score two Teddy Bear Toss goals in their WHL playing career.
Gilliss scored in the seventh minute of the game, prompting 11,156 teddy bears to come on to the rink and shower the Hawks celebrating at center ice. Portland extended the lead to 3-0 in the second period with big time goals from Reece Newkirk and Simon Knak to steal all the momentum.
Portland is now 3-0-0-0 against the Cougars this season and the two teams will meet for the final time during the regular season on Sunday for a 5:00 p.m. puck drop at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
- Saturday night was just the third time in Winterhawks Teddy Bear Toss history they shut out their opponent. The last one took place in 2006 against Vancouver 1-0 in overtime.
- Ty Rattie (2010 & 2011), Luke Walker (2007 & 2008) and Brandon Dubinsky (2003 & 2005) were the other Hawks to score
- Joel Hofer secured his second shutout of the week, fourth of the season and eighth of his WHL career.
- Reece Newkirk extended his goal streak to four-in-a-row, which is tied for the longest active goal-scoring streak in the WHL.
- Simon Knak scored his sixth goal of the season. He is eighth in rookie scoring with 18 points and will leave on Monday for Team Switzerland’s World Junior selection camp.
- Portland held Prince George to just three shots in the third period, the least shots the Hawks allowed in a period this season.
Box Score (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Joel Hofer stopped 25-of-25 shots.
PG: Taylor Gauthier stopped 43-of-46 shots.