The Portland Winterhawks responded with a massive 3-0 shutout at home over the Vancouver Giants on Friday night. Shane Farkas made 24 saves to backstop the team’s fifth shutout of the season against the B.C. Division leaders.
After a scoreless first period, Joachim Blichfeld broke through offensively at the midway point of the second period on a spin-o-rama shot from the slot. Defensively, the Hawks were sound through the first two frames seeing as they only allowed 13 shots on net.
Early in the second period, Reece Newkirk intercepted a puck in his defensive end and went coast-to-coast with speed. Newkirk tapped in a give-and-go feed with Blichfeld to give the Hawks a 2-0 lead. Portland withstood the pressure late in the game, and Newkirk scored the empty net goal, his second goal of the night, to secure the 3-0 win.
Shane Farkas made 11 saves in the final period of play to lock up the team’s third win against the Giants.
- The shutout was the team’s third shutout win of 2019, fifth overall this season.
- Joachim Blichfeld scored the first goal of the night and continues to lead the Western Hockey League with 43 tallies. He is four shy of Skyler McKenzie’s team-high 47 from a season ago.
- Blichfeld became the first player in the WHL to reach 90 points this year, doing so in just 50 games.
- Reece Newkirk recorded his second multi-goal performance of the season and the first since September 28 in Kennewick, WA. He also became the third Winterhawk to reach 20 goals this year (Blichfeld and Jake Gricius)
- The two teams took a combined six shots through the first 12 minutes of the game heading into the media timeout.
- Portland improves to 3-0 against Vancouver this season with the final regular season meeting taking place in British Columbia on Martin Luther King day.
THE BOX SCORE (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 24 saves.
VAN: Trent Miner with 26 saves.