The Portland Winterhawks rattled off five unanswered goals in the third period, after a scoreless defensive battle through the first two frames, to beat the Silvertips 5-1.
Everett spoiled the shutout with 15 seconds to play, but it was too little too late as Joel Hofer earned his first win in a Winterhawks’ jersey stopping 33 of 34 shots.
Over 8,000 fans enjoyed the atmosphere at the Jack in the Box Sunset Game and many fans went home with a free lift ticket to the Mt. Hood Meadows.
- Joachim Blichfeld and Cody Glass each had three point nights (1G-2A). Blichfeld became the first player in the Canadian Hockey League to surpass 80 points this season.
- Blichfeld leads the Western Hockey League in points (82) and goals (39) while Cody Glass is second in assists (48). Glass leads the WHL in points per game (61 pts, 31 gms, 1.97 ppg) while Blichfeld is third (82 pts, 44 gms 1.86 ppg)
- Joel Hofer collects his first win as a Winterhawk in his Veterans Memorial Coliseum debut.
- Jake Gricius scored a shorthanded, empty net goal to seal the victory, giving him points in nine straight games dating back to December 29.
- Brendan De Jong dressed in his 300th career regular season game, all with the Portland Winterhawks, becoming the 9th player in organization history to reach 300+ games with the Hawks. He scored his seventh goal of the season as well to make it a 5-0 lead. He will have a chance to make it to fourth place on the games played leader board.
- Five different players scored tonight for the Hawks.
- The 5-1 win was the largest margin of victory against the Silvertips since October 2015.
- Portland’s five-goal third period tied their season high for most goals in one period.
- It was the second time this season the Everett Silvertips lost back-to-back games since September 21 and 22.
THE BOX SCORE: (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Joel Hofer with 33 saves
EVT: Dustin Wolf with 27 saves