Dante Giannuzzi secured his first career Western Hockey League shutout on a 17-save performance against the Kelowna Rockets. Six different Hawks scored as Portland cruised to a 7-0 victory on Saturday night to extend their home winning streak to five straight.
Seth Jarvis opened the scoring less than two minutes into the game on a moving wrist shot from the left circle to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead. The 2020 NHL Draft prospect set up his second point of the night on a primary assist to Jack O’Brien, giving the Winterhawks a 2-0 lead after the first period.
Clay Hanus and Reece Newkirk each scored in the second period, two minutes apart from one another, to extend the Winterhawks lead to 4-0 and ultimately chasing Rockets starting goaltender Cole Schwebius from the game after facing 42 shots in 40 minutes of work. There was no let up offensively in the final period as Portland pounced for three more goals in two minute window.
With the 7-0 win tonight, Portland has now out-scored their opponents 21-6 this week while going 3-0-0-0.
- Eleven different Hawks registered a point in the win.
- Portland improves to 5-0-0-0 against Kelowna at home ice dating back to the 2017-18 season.
- Portland took a season high 57 shots tonight and they also allowed a season low 17 shots against.
- Seth Jarvis and Reece Newkirk each reached the 50 point plateau following tonight’s win becoming the 12th and 13th WHL players to reach 50 points this year.
- Johnny Ludvig co-leads the WHL with a +40 rating.
- Kelowna has now lost five straight game, only scoring five goals during that stretch.
Box Score (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Dante Giannuzzi stopped 17-of-17 shots to give him five consecutive wins this season.
KEL: Cole Schwebius stopped 38-of-42 shots and Cole Tisdale stopped 12-of-15 shots.