Winterhawks Seek Play-By-Play Announcer
Media Relations and Broadcast Manager
The Portland Winterhawks (Portland, Ore.) of the Western Hockey League are in search of a Play-by-Play broadcaster to serve as the team’s full-time Media Relations and Broadcast Manager. Primary responsibilities are to serve as the Play-by-Play voice, act as the external media contact and contribute as a member of the creative services, events and media team. Applicants should be creative, outgoing, self-starters who are comfortable in both radio broadcast and on-camera environments.
Requirements and skills:
At least one year of hockey play-by-play experience in a professional, elite Junior, or collegiate environment.
- Demonstrated ability to write articles and press releases as well as create content for social media accounts.
- Experience with computer-based, multi-track, audio production, recording, and editing.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a creative team.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite of programs.
- International applicants must have a current immigration status that allows for full-time employment in the U.S.
- Additional preferred skills:
- Video production experience (writing, filming, editing)
- Experience with graphic design for web and/or print
Job duties will include:
Provide Play-by-play coverage of all Winterhawks games, home and away, and oversee all phases of the broadcast including:
- Pre-game, intermission and post-game content
- Interviews with players and/or coaches for broadcast and social media
- Technical set-up, production and advertising spot insertion
- Ensure fulfillment of broadcast-related sponsor elements
- Serve as the Winterhawks primary external media contact:
- Write and disseminate press releases
- Develop and pitch stories to local and national media
- Respond to and facilitate all interview, appearance and media asset requests
- Maintain relationships with local and national media
- Create pre-game notes and media packets
- Work with Team Historian to track statistics and notable milestones
- As a member of the Winterhawks creative services, events and media team:
- Provide media training and social media training as needed to players
- Keep players and coaches informed about game presentation elements that involve the team (special entrances, pre-game ceremonies, etc.)
- Assist with crisis communications and coordinate press conferences as needed
- Contribute content to Winterhawks.com and team social media accounts
- Produce team podcasts, sponsored content, and select TV Broadcast features
- Create new media properties with an emphasis on sponsorable content
- Other duties as assigned.
- The position is full-time (exempt), requires extensive travel on the team bus over a seven-month, 32-game road schedule (plus playoffs), and involves significant night and weekend work.
- Reports to the Senior Vice President, Marketing and Operations.
- The Portland Winterhawks offer a generous medical, dental, vision and prescription benefits package to all employees and eligible spouse/partner and dependents.
All interested candidates should submit:
- Resume and brief cover letter
- Links to hockey play-by-play samples, both long form and highlights (whole game preferred),
- Game recap and story form writing samples
- relevant samples in the areas of video production and graphic design
Send via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org