Winterhawks Victorious in Victoria
Portland Winterhawks (7) vs Victoria Royals (2)
Save-On-Foods Memorial Arena, Victoria, B.C.– Wednesday, December 12th
The Hawks responded with a monster win in Victoria, beating the Royals 7-2. Portland surged to seven straight goals to end the night.
The Royals took the first lead of the night just over six minutes into the game. Ty Yoder received a backdoor pass and shoveled it through Farkas’ pad on the post to score his first Western Hockey League goal. Later in the period, Scott Walford, in transition, tossed in a puck to the back bar of the Hawks’ net to give them a 2-0 lead.
Before the end of the first, Michal Kvasnica had a grade-A opportunity to cut into the lead, but Griffen Outhouse tracked the puck well and made a big save to keep Portland off the scoreboard.
The rest of the night, however, belonged to the Hawks as they went on to score seven unanswered. Ryan Hughes drilled in a wrist shot to put the Hawks on the board six minutes into the second period. A minute later, Seth Jarvis joined the rush and tucked in the tying goal at two apiece.
On the power play, Hughes helped give Portland the lead with his second of the night and his team continued to dominate offensively. Before the period’s end, Blichfeld scored with Jake Gricius on a two-on-one shorthanded rush.
Special teams play continued to play a factor in the third period. Jaydon Dureau was rewarded with an open net goal after Jarvis got Griffen Outhouse moving to make it 5-2. The Winterhawks finished the night with a pair of power play goals. Portland won a puck battle on the post and worked it in front for Reece Newkirk to bury his first of the game and third point. Blichfeld scored off the draw moments later and one-timed in a shot from the high slot.
Portland returns home Sunday, December 16th against the Tri-City Americans. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
- 1st @ 6:11 – VIC – Ty Yoder (1) , Brandon Cutler, D-Jay Jerome
- 1st @ 14:57 – VIC – Scott Walford (3), Phillip Schultz, Tarun Fizer
- 2nd @ 5:34 – POR – Ryan Hughes (11), John Ludvig, Clay Hanus (PP)
- 2nd @ 6:37 – POR – Seth Jarvis (6), Reece Newkirk, Clay Hanus
- 2nd @ 13:19 – POR – Ryan Hughes (12), Joachim Blichfeld, Reece Newkirk
- 2nd @ 17:32 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (28), Jake Gricius (SH)
- 3rd @ 2:01 – POR – Jaydon Dureau (7), Seth Jarvis, Brendan De Jong
- 3rd @ 6:34 – POR – Reece Newkirk (17), Joachim Blichfeld, Jake Gricius (PP)
- 3rd @ 8:05 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (29), Ryan Hughes, Jake Gricius (PP)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 24 saves
VIC: Griffen Outhouse 25 with saves
Brock Gould with 2 saves