Winterhawks Rout Kamloops in British Columbia
Portland Winterhawks (7) vs Kamloops Blazers (3)
Sandman Centre- Kamloops, BC– Wednesday, October 3rd
The Winterhawks open the offense with seven goals to carry them to a decisive 7-3 win in British Columbia. Wednesday night’s victory marks the second straight win for the Oregon boys.
The opening period of play featured three power play goals. Kamloops forward Martin Lang scored 5:08 into the first to give the Blazers an early lead, but the Winterhawks climbed back in a hurry. Jake Gricius swept in his third power play goal of the season and Cody Glass banged home his first goal of the year to give the Winterhawks their first lead of the night.
That lead would remain in tact as the Winterhawks unleashed six unanswered goals. Just shy of two minutes into the second, Brendan De Jong ripped a low wrister through traffic that beat Ferguson on the glove side. Just shy of three minutes later, Reece Newkirk made it 4-1 with a put home goal on the left post and the Winterhawks weren’t done yet. Joachim Blichfeld drove home his team-leading fourth goal of the season and defenseman Clay Hanus scored his first Western Hockey League goal on a 3-on-2 rush. Tremendous passes by Lane Gilliss and Jaydon Dureau set him up for the slot shot. After Kamloops netted a power play goal of their own to trim the lead, Mason Mannek would give the Winterhawks their seventh of the night.
Seven different Winterhawks scored and 13 Portland skaters registered at least one point to help the Winterhawks win their second straight game. Cody Glass was recognized as the first star of the game after recording his third straight three-point performance.
The Hawks are set to take on the Kamloops Blazers again on Friday, October 5th. Their next home game is Wednesday, October 10th at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Individual tickets are now on sale. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
- 1st @ 5:08 – KAM – Martin Lang (1), Jermaine Loewen, Quinn Schmiemann (PP)
- 1st @ 12:47 – POR – Jake Gricus (3), Jared Freadrich, Cody Glass (PP)
- 1st @ 17:52 – POR – Cody Glass (1), Brendan De Jong, John Ludvig (PP)
- 2nd @ 1:53 – POR – Brendan De Jong (1), Clay Hanus, Seth Jarvis
- 2nd @ 4:42 – POR – Reece Newkirk (4), Cody Glass, Joachim Blichfeld
- 2nd @ 8:11 – POR – Joachim Blchfeld (4), Jared Freadrich, Jake Gricius (PP)
- 2nd @ 10:15 – POR – Clay Hanus (1), Lane Gillis, Jaydon Dureau
- 2nd @ 12:18 – KAM – Luke Zazula (1), Quinn Schmiemann (PP)
- 2nd @ 16:20 – POR – Mason Mannek (1), Lane Gilliss, Michal Kvasnica
- 3rd @ 19:16 – KAM – Brodi Stuart (4), Orrin Centazzo, Zane Franklin (PP)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 29 saves
KAM: Dylan Ferguson with 22 saves; Dylan Garand with 14 saves