Winterhawks Fall in Shoot Out
Portland Winterhawks (3) at Seattle Thunderbirds (4) (SO)
Moda Center– Portland, OR – Sunday, December 31st
The Winterhawks scored late in the third to tie things up with Seattle but the Thunderbirds eventually came away with the victory in a shootout. For Portland, it was their third straight game with a point.
After 20, the game was scoreless but that changed when Skyler McKenzie wired one home from just inside the right circle to give the Winterhawks a 1-0 leads 2:22 into the second. Seattle would score twice to take the lead but the Hawks responded with a goal from Reece Newkirk on a great feed from John Ludvig.
Seattle took a 3-2 lead late in the third, but again the Winterhawks came back. With just 58 seconds remaining Ryan Hughes scored for Portland to tie things up in front of a frenzied Moda Center.
After a scoreless overtime frame, Portland was unable to beat Seattle goaltender Liam Hughes and the Thunderbirds came away with the victory. Cole Kehler made 27 saves on the night.
The Winterhawks are on the road next weekend in Everett January 6th and return home Saturday, January 16th against the Seattle Thunderbirds. Tickets for the season opener on sale here, and single game and group tickets now on sale.
- 2nd @ 2:22 – POR -Skyler McKenzie (27), Cody Glass, Brendan DeJong (PP)
- 2nd @ 7:31 – SEA – Reece Harsch (8), Donovan Neuls, Jarret Tyszka, (PP)
- 2nd @ 8:08 – SEA – Nikita Malukhin (4), Noah Philip, Turner Ottenbreit
- 2nd @ 14:05 – POR – Reece Newkirk (2), John Ludvig
- 3rd @ 16:57 – SEA – Matthew Wedman (6), Turner Ottenbreit, Nolan Volcan
- 3rd @ 19:02 – POR – Ryan Hughes (5), Alex Overhardt, Cody Glass
- 3rd @ OT – SEA –
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Cole Kehler with 27 saves
SEA: Liam Hughes with 32 saves