Winterhawks Down Chiefs 4-2
Portland Winterhawks (4) at Spokane Chiefs(2)
Spokane, WA – Tuesday, December 12th
The Winterhawks continued their strong play against Spokane this season, improving to 5-0-0-0 against the Chiefs this season, in a 4-2 win on Tuesday.
Spokane (16-11-1-2) got on the board first scoring 14:41 into the opening frame to take a 1-0 lead into the second period. But Portland (21-9-0-1) would rally in the second. Joachim Blichfeld buried a rebound mid-way through the period. Then, Kieffer Bellows created a turnover and beat the Chiefs netminder Donovan Buskey on a breakaway for his 19th of the season. The Chiefs would respond with a goal from Kailer Yamamoto to tie things at two after 40 minutes.
In the third, Keoni Texeira nominated himself for “Goal of the Year”. The Winterhawks captain went through several Spokane players and potted his 6th of the season to give Portland a 3-2 win. The Hawks would add an empty-netter off the stick of Blichfeld, his second of the game, to make it a 4-2 final.
Goaltender Cole Kehler was solid all night and ended up with 30 saves in the win.
- 1st @ 14:41 – SPO – Hudson Elynuik (15), Ty Smith, Kailer Yamamoto
- 2nd @ 11:51 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (12), Henri Jokiharju, Skyler McKenzie
- 2nd @ 13:00 – POR- Kieffer Bellows (19)
- 2nd @ 15:56 – SPO – Kailer Yamamoto (2), Hudson Elynuik, Riley Woods
- 3rd @ 6:56 – POR – Keoni Texeira (6)
- 3rd @ 19:58 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (13), Skyler McKenzie
SHOTS ON GOAL: