Winterhawks Comeback Falls Short
Portland Winterhawks (3) at Vancouver Giants (5)
Langley, AB – Tuesday, December 5th
The Hawks were back on the road to take on the Vancouver Giants Tuesday night but a third period rally wasn’t enough, as the Winterhawks fell to the Giants 5-3.
The Winterhawks outshot the Giants 14-6 in the first period but found themselves down 2-0 after 20. Vancouver’s (12-13-2-2) Owen Hardy scored twice for the Giants in the opening frame. Cody Glass would score on the power play in the second period to put the Winterhawks (20-5-0-1) within one to end the second.
The Giants would start off the third period with two more goals to go up 4-1 but the Hawks would respond. Alex Overhardt potted his sixth of the season on the power play at 11:24. Then Joachim Blichfeld made it a one goal game at 15:28. But the Giants would hold off Portland’s comeback, eventually taking it 5-3.
Goaltender Cole Kehler made 33 saves on the night.
The Winterhawks are away tomorrow, December 6th against the Everett Silvertips. The Hawks will be back at home at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Friday, December 8th. Tickets for the season are on sale here, and single game and group tickets now on sale.
- 1st @ 9:16 – VAN – Owen Hardy (6), Dawson Holt
- 1st @ 18:30 – VAN – Owen Hardy (7)
- 2nd @ 7:22 – POR – Cody Glass (20), Joachim Blichfeld, Kieffer Bellows (PP)
- 3rd @ 6:11- VAN- Aidan Barfoot (3), James Malm, Owen Hardy
- 3rd @ 8:52 – VAN – James Malm (13), Tyler Benson, Dylan Plouffe
- 3rd @ 11:24 – POR – Alex Overhardt (6), Keoni Texeira, Ilijah Colina (PP)
- 3rd @ 15:28 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (11), Brad Ginnell
- 3rd @ 15:40 – VAN – Ty Ronning (27), Ty Benson, Milos Roman
SHOTS ON GOAL: