Two Goals from Blichfeld and 48 saves from Kehler Give Hawks a 5-3 Victory to Take 3-2 Series Lead
Portland Winterhawks 5 at Prince George 3 – Round 1, Game 5
CN Centre – Prince George, BC – Saturday, April 1st
The Portland Winterhawks earned a 5-3 victory over the Prince George Cougars in Game 5 of the first-round playoff series at CN Centre Saturday. The Hawks now have a 3-2 advantage in the series and can punch their ticket to the second round with a Game 6 win in Portland on Monday.
Game Six: Monday – 7PM – VMC – Buy Tickets
Joachim Blichfeld sparked the Winterhawks offense tonight with two goals. Blichfeld now has four points so far in the playoff series, while rookie Brad Ginnell got the Hawks on the board first with his first career playoff goal.
Ryan Hughes notched the game-winner when he capitalized on a 2-on-1, and Cody Glass earned his sixth point of the postseason when he fired the puck home late in the third to seal the Game 5 victory. Goaltender Cole Kehler stood tall in net making 48 saves on the 51 shots he faced from the Cougars.
The Hawks will host the Prince George Cougars for Game 6 Monday at Veterans Memorial Coliseum as they seek to finish the first-round series on home ice.
- 1st @ 1:09 – Jared Bethune (Collins, Olson) opens the scoring for the Cougars. (PG 1 – POR 0)
- 1st @ 4:28 – Brad Ginnell (Colina, Gricius) fires the puck past Prince George goaltender Ty Edmonds to even it at 1-1. (PG 1 – POR 1)
- 1st @ 15:24 – (PP) Joachim Blichfeld (Glass, Iverson) nets a perfect cross-ice pass from Cody Glass to put the Hawks up 2-1 on the power play. (PG 1 – POR 2)
- 3rd @ 2:45 – After a scoreless second period, Joachim Blichfeld (Revel, Veloso) notches his second of the night. (PG 1 – POR 3)
- 3rd @ 10:04 – Brogan O’Brien cuts the Cougars’ deficit to 3-2. (PG 2 – POR 3)
- 3rd @ 13:23 – Colby McAuley (Harkins, Collins) ties the game at 3-3. (PG 3 – POR 3)
- 3rd @ 14:22 – Ryan Hughes (Weinger, Overhardt) slides the puck past Edmonds to give the Hawks a 4-3 lead 59 seconds later. (PG 3 – POR 4)
- 3rd @ 17:25 – Cody Glass seals the 5-3 win for the Hawks. (PG 3 – POR 5)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 1/2
- PG: 0/2
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 28
- PG: 51
- POR: Cole Kehler made 48 saves on 51 Prince George shots.
- PG: Ty Edmonds made 23 saves on 28 Portland shots.