Third Period Comeback Gives Hawks 4-3 Win; Portland Takes 3-1 Series Lead
Portland Winterhawks (4) vs Spokane Chiefs (3)
Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena– Spokane, WA– Thursday, March 29th
Joachim Blichfeld scored twice in seven seconds in the third period to give Portland a 4-3 lead that they wouldn’t relinquish, as the Hawks took down the Chiefs in Spokane to take a 3-1 series lead.
The Chiefs got on the board first, with Hudson Elynuik scoring 9:01 into the opening period. Just over a minute and a half later, Eli Zummack tipped one past Cole Kehler to give Spokane a 2-0 lead. Late in the first, Alex Overhardt wired a shot past Dawson Weatherill to make it a 2-1 game heading into the second.
In the second frame, the Hawks tied things up as Henri Jokiharju found Skyler McKenzie infront, who tapped home his first of the playoffs to make it 2-2.
It would remain that way until the third period, when with just over 10 minutes remaining in the frame, Jaret Anderson-Dolan scored on the powerplay to give Spokane the 3-2 lead. A few minutes later, Kieffer Bellows thought he had tied it with a wicked wrister, but after review it was clear the puck went crossbar, post and out. But just three seconds later off the offensive zone faceoff win, Joachim Blichfeld beat Weatherill to tie it at three Portland was not done there. Just seven seconds later, Keoni Texeira sprung Blichfeld on a breakaway, and again he beat Weatherill to give Portland the lead. Blichfeld set a Winterhawks postseason record, for the fastest two goals by the same player at seven seconds.
The Chiefs would pull their goaltender late, but the Hawks were solid defensively, and held on for the 4-3 comeback win. Cole Kehler made 25 saves in the victory. With the win, Portland takes a 3-1 series lead.
- 1st @ 9:01 – SPO – Hudson Elynuik (2), Ty Smith, Jaret Anderson- Dolan (PP)
- 1st @ 10:28 – SPO Eli Zummack (1), Tyson Helgesen, Jaret Anderson- Dolan
- 1st @ 17:39 – POR – Alex Overhardt (2), Joachim Blichfeld, Keoni Texeira
- 3rd @ 2:30 – POR – Skyler McKenzie (1), Henri Jokiharju, Cody Glass
- 3rd @ 9:50 – SPO – Jaret Anderson-Dolan (2), Kailer Yamamoto, Ty Smith (PP)
- 3rd @ 13:38 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (2), Alex Overhardt
- 3rd @ 13:45 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (3), Keoni Texeira
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Cole Kehler 25 saves
SPO: Dawson Weatherill with 20 saves