Portland Winterhawks (5) vs Regina Pats (2)
Brandt Centre, Saskatchewan, Canada– Wednesday, January 9, 2019
Portland cruised to its sixth straight win with a 5-2 decision in Regina. Jake Gricius led the way offensively with a three point night, the fifth of his WHL career.
The Winterhawks got a strong start in Regina to take an early lead. Midway through the first period, Robbie Fromm-Delorme found Jake Gricius cutting through the slot on a line change and he banged it through the five-hole to take a 1-0 lead. In the final minute of the period, the Hawks cycled the puck to the blueline and Clay Hanus scored on a seeing eye slap shot to give Portland a two goal lead heading into the intermission.
In the opening minute of the second, the Hawks had three scoring chances and they worked it in front to Joachim Blichfeld who scored to stretch his goal-scoring streak to six games in a row. The two teams would trade goals the rest of the way.
Leading scorer Austin Pratt put the Pats on the scoreboard with a rebound goal in the final 80 seconds of the second frame. With a 3-1 lead heading into the third, Jared Freadrich increased the lead on a shot fired home from the slot. Regina would cut into the lead one final time, but Jaydon Dureau scored the empty net goal securing the 5-2 road win.
Portland heads to Canada to play six games in nine nights against the East Division teams. They return on January 19th for a home game against Everett in the sunset game at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The puck is set to drop at 5:00 p.m. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
- 1st @ 8:15 – POR – Jake Gricius (18), Robbie Fromm-Delorme, Clay Hanus
- 1st @ 19:40 – POR – Clay Hanus (5), Jake Gricius, Michal Kvasnica
- 2nd @ 0:56 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (38), Ryan Hughes, Cody Glass
- 2nd @ 18:42 – REG – Austin Pratt (16), Tyson Feist, Robbie Holmes
- 3rd @ 2:51 – POR – Jared Freadrich (6), Jake Gricius, Mason Mannek
- 3rd @ 8:15 – REG – Liam Schioler (4)
- 3rd @ 17:44 – POR – Jaydon Dureau (10), Mason Mannek, Lane Gilliss
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 24 saves
REG: Dean McNabb with 30 saves