The goaltenders stole the show on Sunday night as Medicine Hat beat Portland 2-1 after a five round shootout. The win ends the Tigers six-game losing skid against the Hawks dating back to 2011.
Portland was opportunistic in the first period as Joachim Blichfeld added yet another goal to his season total on an offensive zone face-off win. The Hawks had their chances in the opening period with a Seth Jarvis breakaway and a couple of hit posts.
With a 1-0 game heading into the third period, the Tigers finally broke loose on a shorthanded goal from 20 year old Ryan Jevne to tie the game. The Winterhawks controlled nearly all of the overtime period with offensive zone pressure, but Mads Sogaard turned aside all four overtime shots he faced.
In the shootout round, Sogaard stopped all five Portland shooters and Shane Farkas made four of five stops, but Ryan Chyzowski slipped in the lone goal giving the Tigers the win.
- The goaltenders claimed the top two stars of the night. Farkas’ 38 saves were his second highest total of the season.
- Joachim Blichfeld’s goal was his third in the month of February.
- Josh Paterson had the primary assist on Blichfeld’s first period goal, giving him ten points (6G-4A) in 14 games with the Hawks.
- Jared Freadrich skated in his 250th career regular season game in the WHL tonight.
- Medicine Hat improves to 4-0-1-0 against U.S. Division opponents this season.
- After earning a point, the Winterhawks magic number for clinching a playoff spot is 6.
- The Hawks have back-to-back home games at the Moda Center on Saturday and Sunday night and they will travel to Vancouver afterwards for a Monday afternoon game.
THE BOX SCORE (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 38 saves.
MH: Mads Sogaard with 32 saves.