Portland Winterhawks (7) vs Victoria Royals (3)
Moda Center- Portland, OR– Friday, November 2nd
The offensive Winterhawks showed up to beat the Victoria Royals 7-3 from the Moda Center.
It was quite a start on Friday night. Less than two minutes into the game, Jared Freadrich scored on the power play against his former team to give the Hawks the first lead of the night. That lead remained intact through the media timeout, but Victoria answered back. Kaid Oliver scored his 10th of the season by redirecting a centering feed on the man advantage.
The rest of the period went the Hawks’ way. Portland collected its second power play goal of the night from a Brendan De Jong point blast. Before the end of the first, Reece Newkirk made a nifty move off the right wing wall and scored a pretty one in the slot to make it a 3-1 contest.
Victoria was able to tie the game in the second frame. Oliver netted his second of the night moments after a power play expired and D-Jay Jerome scored a breakaway goal to tie the game at three. Before the period ended, the Hawks regained the lead. Jake Gricius stripped the puck on the wing and centered it to Ryan Hughes, who scored his fifth of the season.
Portland pulled away in the third period. Joachim Blichfeld scored an insurance goal shortly after a Victoria power play expired, shooting from a sharp angle below the left circle to beat Griffen Outhouse and making it a 5-3 lead for the Hawks. Later in the third, a giveaway by the Royals proved to be costly, as Cody Glass collected the puck in the slot and was left all alone with a clear shooting lane. The Hawks captain extended the lead to 6-3 with his goal and picked up his fourth point of the night.
Rookie forward Haydn Delorme added an empty net goal late in the frame to seal the 7-3 Winterhawks victory. The goal was his first in the WHL.
The Hawks play at home against the Victoria Royals tomorrow for Hawks Fight Cancer at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Individual tickets are now on sale. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
- 1st @ 1:57 – POR – Jared Freadrich (2), Cody Glass, Joachim Blichfeld (PP)
- 1st @ 11:10 – VIC – Kaid Oliver (10), D-Jay Jerome, Scott Walford (PP)
- 1st @ 13:01 – POR – Brendan De Jong (4), Clay Hanus, Cody Glass (PP)
- 1st @ 16:20 – POR – Reece Newkirk (9), Lane Gilliss
- 2nd @ 3:11 – VIC – Kaid Oliver (11), Brandon Cutler, Tarun Fizer
- 2nd @ 8:31 – VIC – D-Jay Jerome (8)
- 2nd @ 15:04 – POR – Ryan Hughes (5), Jake Gricius
- 3rd @ 9:55 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (11), Ryan Hughes, Cody Glass
- 3rd @ 15:48 – POR – Cody Glass (5)
- 3rd @ 19:55 – POR – Haydn Delorme (1), Michal Kvasnica, Nick Perna (EN)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 18 saves
VIC: Griffen Outhouse with 21 saves