Portland brought the game to a one-goal deficit in the third period, but the Seattle Thunderbirds captured a 5-2 win in their final home game of the regular season.
The Thunderbirds opened the game with three unanswered goals, including goals the opening minute of the second and third periods. Portland would not go down without a fight.
In seek of another comeback victory against Seattle, Portland outshot their rival 23 to 9 in the third period and scored a pair of goals to make it a 3-2 game. The Hawks first goal came from Jared Freadrich on a 5-on-3 power play.
With emotions high, Seattle scored an insurance marker with under five minutes to play and eventually an empty net goal to secure the win.
Twenty year olds Noah Phil (2G, A) and Nolan Volcan (G) each had points in their final regular season home game at the ShoWare Center.
- Joachim Blichfeld took a game-high 11 shots on goal and recorded a primary assist on the third period power play to put him at 113 points. He is now tied with Tristin Langan of Moose Jaw for the WHL scoring lead, but Blichfeld has one game left to play to try to earn the scoring race outright.
- Reece Newkirk picked up a pair of assists tonight, giving him six points in his last five games. He has 16 points in 11 games against Seattle this year.
- Josh Paterson tipped in his 24th goal of the season to extend his point streak to five straight games.
- Roddy Ross earned his first win against Portland, stopping 45 of 47 in his 16th win of the year to put the Thunderbirds above .500.
- Playoff schedule and ticketing information will be released following Sunday night’s game against Seattle.
THE BOX SCORE (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 33 saves.
SEA: Roddy Ross with 45 saves.