McKenzie Scores But Hawks Fall 6-3 to Seattle Saturday
Portland Winterhawks 3 vs Seattle Thunderbirds 6
Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Portland, OR – Saturday, March 11th
The Portland Winterhawks (37-27-1-3) fell 6-3 to the Seattle Thunderbirds (44-19-4-2) Saturday at Veterans Memorial Coliseum in front of 7,235 fans.
Skyler McKenzie netted his team-leading 40th goal of the season against the Thunderbirds and added an assist, giving him 80 points on the season. With that goal, McKenzie has dented the twine in three straight games and has a six-game point streak overall.
Despite the loss, Keegan Iverson continues to propel the Hawks with a point streak of his own, hitting the scoresheet tonight for the eighth consecutive game with 13 points in that span. Defenseman Caleb Jones also has points in four straight games after posting two assists tonight.
The Hawks wrap up their busy weekend tomorrow night at the Moda Center when they host the Everett Silvertips at 5 p.m.
- 2nd @ 2:38 – After a scoreless first period, Seattle’s Matthew Wedman (Ottenbreit, Andrusiak) opens the scoring. Matt Berlin replaces Rylan Toth in net for the Thunderbirds. (SEA 1 – POR 0)
- 2nd @ 3:25 – Just 47 seconds later, Skyler McKenzie (Jones) beats Berlin to tie it at 1-1. (SEA 1 – POR 1)
- 2nd @ 10:56 – (SH) Nolan Volcan (Neuls) nets a shorthanded marker to give the Thunderbirds a 2-1 lead. (SEA 2 – POR 1)
- 2nd @ 14:56 – (PP) Ryan Gropp (True, Kolesar) extends Seattle’s lead to 3-1. (SEA 3 – POR 1)
- 2nd @ 18:01 – Shaun Dosanjh (Gricius) cuts the Thunderbirds’ lead to one goal. (SEA 3 – POR 2)
- 3rd @ 0:48 – (SH) Alexander True (Gropp) puts Seattle up 4-2 with a shorthanded goal just 48 seconds into the third. (SEA 4 – POR 2)
- 3rd @ 3:01 – Winterhawks captain Keegan Iverson (Jones, McKenzie) gets Portland within one goal with a deflection on the power play. (SEA 4 – POR 3)
- 3rd @ 14:48 – (PS) Seattle’s Sami Moilanen scores a penalty shot to give the Thunderbirds a 5-3 lead. (SEA 5 – POR 3)
- 3rd @ 18:59 – With 1:01 left and the Thunderbirds playing on a 5-on-3 power play, Ethan Bear (Neuls, Kolesar) struck to seal Seattle’s 6-3 win. (SEA 6 – POR 3)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 1/6
- SEA: 2/6
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 31
- SEA: 36
- POR: Shane Farkas made 30 saves on 36 Seattle shots.
- SEA: Rylan Toth made all 11 saves on the 11 Portland shots he faced. Matt Berlin made 17 of 20 saves in relief.