Portland Winterhawks 6 at Tri-City Americans 1
Toyota Center – Kennewick, WA – Tuesday, March 14th
The Portland Winterhawks (39-27-1-3) earned an explosive 6-1 win over the Tri-City Americans (38-28-3-0) in a road contest played in Kennewick, WA.
Winterhawks goaltender Cole Kehler was outstanding in net tonight, stopping 35 of 36 shots he faced from the Americans. Meanwhile, Skyler McKenzie now has a five-game goal streak, and eight-game point streak overall with his goal and assist tonight. McKenzie has exploded for 42 goals on the season and 41 assists for 83 points, more than tripling his previous career high of 25 points last year.
Keegan Iverson’s two goals extended his point streak to ten games with 17 points in that span. Rookie forward Lane Gilliss now has goals in back-to-back games, while defenseman Caleb Jones has hit the scoresheet in the last six straight games with two assists tonight. Ilijah Colina also posted two assists in the win.
The Hawks are back in action Saturday in the final road contest of the season when they travel to Seattle to take on the Thunderbirds in a game that will be broadcast live on Portland’s CW.
- 1st @ 5:47 – Skyler McKenzie (Glass) opens the scoring with a top shelf sniper. (POR 1 – TC 0)
- 1st @ 12:40 – (PP) Keegan Iverson (Jones, McKenzie) gives Portland a 2-0 lead with a power play goal. (POR 2 – TC 0)
- 1st @ 14:51 – Lane Gilliss (De Jong, Jones) beats Tri-City netminder Rylan Parenteau for a 3-0 Hawks lead. (POR 3 – TC 0)
- 2nd @ 6:49 – Jake Gricius (Texeira, Colina) bangs in his own rebound to extend Portland’s lead to 4-0. (POR 4 – TC 0)
- 3rd @ 12:59 – With the team’s playing 4-on-4, Kyle Olson (AuCoin, Coghlan) cuts the Americans’ deficit to 4-1. (POR 4 – TC 1)
- 3rd @ 17:33 – Iverson rips the puck past Parenteau for his second goal of the night and a 5-1 lead. (POR 5 – TC 1)
- 3rd @ 18:12 – Brett Clayton (Colina) scores on a breakaway to seal Portland’s 6-1 win. (POR 6 – TC 1)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 1/2
- TC: 0/6
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 37
- TC: 36
- POR: Cole Kehler made 35 saves on 36 Tri-City shots.
- TC: Rylan Parenteau made 31 saves on 37 Portland shots.