Iverson, Gricius Notch Two Goals Apiece in Huge 5-1 Victory at Vancouver Wednesday
Portland Winterhawks 5 at Vancouver Giants 1
Langley Events Centre – Langley, BC – Wednesday, March 1st
The Portland Winterhawks (33-26-1-3) earned a 5-1 win over the Vancouver Giants (19-40-2-3) Wednesday in a road contest played in Langley, BC.
Winterhawks captain Keegan Iverson netted two goals tonight against the Giants, including his 20th goal of the season. Since returning from injury on February 13th, Iverson has nine points in seven games including his two-goal effort tonight.
Forward Jake Gricius also contributed two goals tonight including the game-winner tonight for a total of nine goals so far in his rookie campaign, while defenseman Caleb Jones added two assists in the victory.
The Hawks return to Portland to host the Giants in back-to-back games at Veterans Memorial Coliseum this Friday and Saturday. Friday’s game, the Jack-in-the-Box Smash for Cash, has a start time of 7 pm, while Saturday’s game will begin at 6 pm.
- 1st @ 8:23 – (PP) Winterhawks captain Keegan Iverson (Jones, McKenzie) opens the scoring with a power play goal. (POR 1 – VAN 0)
- 2nd @ 5:53 – Jake Gricius (Colina) puts the Hawks up 2-0. (POR 2 – VAN 0)
- 2nd @ 15:51 – (PP) Iverson (Glass, Jones) beats Vancouver netminder Ryan Kubic for his second power play marker of the night. (POR 3 – VAN 0)
- 3rd @ 2:47 – (PP) Vancouver’s Matt Barberis (Wesley) cuts the Giants’ deficit to 3-1 on the power play. (POR 3 – VAN 1)
- 3rd @ 18:10 – (EN) Matt Revel (Veloso) adds an empty net goal to extend Portland’s lead to 4-1. (POR 4 – VAN 1)
- 3rd @ 19:02 – (PP) Gricius beats Kubic for his second of the night with a power play goal, sealing the Hawks’ 5-1 victory. (POR 5 – VAN 1)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 3/5
- VAN: 1/3
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 56
- VAN: 18
- POR: Cole Kehler made 17 saves on 18 Vancouver shots.
- VAN: Ryan Kubic made 51 saves on 55 Portland shots.