Portland Winterhawks (2) vs Kamloops Blazers (6)
Veterans Memorial Coliseum- Portland, OR– Saturday, October 27th
The Hawks surrendered six goals at home in a 6-2 loss against Kamloops. The two teams will be back at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum for a rematch Sunday night at 5:00 pm.
An intense first period resulted in a handful of goals. A little over six minutes into the game, the Winterhawks worked the puck well on the power play and Joachim Blichfeld banged home his team-leading tenth goal of the season. Kamloops ended the period on an offensive run, scoring three unanswered before the intermission break. Captain Jermaine Loewen redirected an in-tight puck on the power play to tie the game at one. Later, Martin Lang added in the go-ahead goal off his skate and Connor Zary scored his fifth point of the weekend to make it a 3-1 contest.
The two sides ended the first period in a skirmish which resulted in a five minute power play for the Blazers. Two minutes into the second period, Loewen banked in another puck on the power play to increase the lead to 4-1. But the Hawks would not back down easily. They generated 11 shots in the middle period and were rewarded with a 2-on-1 rush goal from Mason Mannek and Lane Gilliss.
Portland opened the third period with some scoring chances to get back in the game, but they hit two posts and could not generate the comeback effort in the final 20 minutes. Loewen completed his hat trick in the third period and the Blazers added one more before it was said and done.
The Hawks are at home Sunday, October 28th against the Kamloops Blazers. Individual tickets are now on sale. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
- 1st @ 6:20 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (10), Cody Glass, Jared Freadrich (PP)
- 1st @ 8:19 – KAM – Jermaine Loewen (4), Zane Franklin, Nolan Kneen (PP)
- 1st @ 13:32 – KAM Martin Lang (3), Kobe Mohr
- 1st @ 16:40 – KAM – Connor Zary (5), Brody Stuart
- 2nd @ 2:10 – KAM – Jermaine Loewen (5), Josh Pillar, Montana Onyebuchi (PP)
- 2nd @ 9:00 – POR – Mason Mannek (4), Lane Gilliss
- 3rd @ 5:17 – KAM – Jermaine Loewen (6), Connor Zary
- 3rd @ 10:29 – KAM – Carson Denomie (1), Josh Pillar, Montana Onyebuchi
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 17 saves
KAM: Dylan Ferguson with 28 saves