The Portland Winterhawks won their 30th games of the season, shutting out Lethbridge 3-0 on Sunday evening. Joel Hofer secured his second shutout of the year, first with the Winterhawks, stopping 37 shots in the win.
After a scoreless first, Portland struck three times in the second period to gain the lead. Jake Gricius netted the team’s first two goals of the night and Seth Jarvis scored the last goal of the game. After a defensive third period, Portland captured its fourth overall shutout of the season and the first since January 5 in Moose Jaw.
Tonight was the Winterhawks’ Billet Appreciation Night and the team honored their second families with a strong showing to close the weekend. The Portland crowd brought the energy to close out the night and can welcome their Hawks back home on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. against Vancouver.
- It was the fourth time this season Gricius scored multiple goals in a game. His second period goal was shorthanded.
- Seth Jarvis scored to increase his point streak to three straight games.
- The Winterhawks scored three goals on seven second-period shots, meanwhile Joel Hofer turned aside all 18 shots he faced in the middle period.
- The Hawks have only allowed eight goals in their last five games (four wins during that stretch).
- With the win, the Winterhawks extend their point streak against Lethbridge to 11 straight games. Their last regulation loss against the Alberta based team was in 2007.
THE BOX SCORE (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Joel Hofer with 37 saves
LET: Carl Tetachuk with 26 saves.