Portland Winterhawks (8) vs Edmonton Oil Kings (2)
Veterans Memorial Coliseum- Portland, OR– Wednesday, October 10th
Offense continued to groove in the friendly confides of Veterans Memorial Coliseum as the Hawks routed the Oil Kings 8-2. TNT was played plenty and often as the Winterhawks collect their fifth straight win of the season.
In the first period, the Winterhawks jumped to a 2-0 lead. Cody Glass scored the first goal of the night in his first appearance as team captain. His linemates Joachim Blichfeld and Reece Newkirk made exceptional plays to set Glass up on the left wing post for his second goal of the season. The trio would add another goal at the midway point of the first. Blichfeld won a board battle behind the net and Cody Glass fed a gorgeous puck across the seam to Newkirk who forced in his fifth of the year.
Edmonton responded with a goal eight seconds into the second thanks to their leading scorer Trey Fix-Wolansky, but the Hawks made the most noise of the frame. Ryan Hughes and Mason Mannek scored on back-to-back power play chances to open the lead at 4-1 a few minutes later. Special teams play continued with a two-on-oh rush shorthanded and the organization’s 43rd captain bangs home his second goal of the night.
The rest of the night was highlighted by a couple of WHL firsts. Cross Hanas bodied an Oil King skater hard off the puck and Jaydon Dureau slipped passed a defender to find Michal Kvasnica cross ice for a one-time goal to make it 6-2. The goal was his first as a Winterhawk.
The Hawks owned the third period as well, scoring two more power play goal. Jake Gricius knocked in his fifth of the year and Cross Hanas showed his hand-eye coordination by batting in a puck mid-air to net the first of his WHL career.
The Hawks are set to take on the Everett Silvertips at home on Sunday, October 14th at the Moda Center. Individual tickets are now on sale. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
- 1st @ 5:04 – POR – Cody Glass (2), Joachim Blichfeld, Reece Newkirk
- 1st @ 12:07 – POR – Reece Newkirk (5), Cody Glass, Joachim Blichfeld
- 2nd @ 0:08 – EDM Trey Fix-Wolansky (6), Quinn Benjafield
- 2nd @ 2:35 – POR – Ryan Hughes (2), Cody Glass, Joachim Blichfeld (PP)
- 2nd @ 3:28 – POR – Mason Mannek (3), Cross Hanas, Seth Jarvis (PP)
- 2nd @ 9:27 – POR – Cody Glass (3), Joachim Blichfeld
- 2nd @ 12:08 – EDM Scott Atkinson (2), Carter Souch
- 2nd @ 13:31 – POR – Michal Kvasnica (1), Jaydon Dureau
- 3rd @ 6:48 – POR – Jake Gricius (5), Reece Newkirk, Joachim Blichfeld (PP)
- 3rd @ 10:07 – POR – Cross Hanas (1), Ryan Hughes, Seth Jarvis (PP)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 28 saves
EDM: Dylan Myskiw with 14 saves; Boston Bilous with 9 saves