Hawks Punch Ticket to Second Round with 4-2 Victory Over Prince George in Game 6 Monday
Portland Winterhawks 4 vs Prince George 2 – Round 1, Game 6
Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Portland, OR – Monday, April 3rd
The Portland Winterhawks defeated the Prince George Cougars 4-2 in Game 6 of the first-round playoff series at Veterans Memorial Coliseum Monday to advance to the second round of the WHL Playoffs.
Ryan Hughes finished with a goal and an assist in this balanced victory, while goaltender Cole Kehler was once again outstanding in net, making 35 saves on 37 shots he faced from the Cougars to preserve the 4-2 victory. Winterhawks captain Keegan Iverson notched his third goal of the postseason to seal the series-clinching win.
With tonight’s win, the Hawks now advance to the second round of the WHL Playoffs where they will take on the Kelowna Rockets.
- 2nd @ 5:35 – Colton Veloso (De Jong, Blichfeld) opens the scoring. Initially, there was no goal called on the ice but video review determined Veloso’s shot found the back of the net. (POR 1 – PG 0)
- 2nd @ 7:18 – Ryan Hughes puts the Hawks up 2-0, banking a shot off Prince George goaltender Ty Edmonds. (POR 2 – PG 0)
- 2nd @ 11:58 – (PP) Alex Overhardt (Hughes, Texeira) fires a power play goal past Edmonds for a 3-0 lead. (POR 3 – PG 0)
- 3rd @ 6:38 – Kody McDonald cuts the Cougars’ deficit to 3-1. (POR 3 – PG 1)
- 3rd @ 7:45 – Winterhawks captain Keegan Iverson (McKenzie) responds just over a minute later to extend Portland’s lead to 4-1. (POR 4 – PG 1)
- 3rd @ 18:59 – (PP) Colby McAuley (McDonald, Gabrielle) nets a power play goal to cut it to 4-2 but it wouldn’t be enough as the Hawks skate away with the win to advance to the second round of the WHL Playoffs. (POR 4 – PG 2)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 1/5
- PG: 1/2
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 42
- PG: 37
- POR: Cole Kehler made 35 saves on 37 Prince George shots.
- PG: Ty Edmonds made 38 saves on 42 Portland shots.