Hawks Outshoot But Fall to Giants
Portland Winterhawks (2) vs Vancouver Giants (4)
Veterans Memorial Coliseum– Portland, OR – Wednesday, February 14th
Portland outshot the Giants 49-19 but ended up falling 4-2 to Vancouver on Wednesday night at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Vancouver’s Dawson Holt scored early in the first period to give the Giants the 1-0 lead. It remained that way until early in the second, when Reece Newkirk banged home a Lukus MacKenzie rebound to tie things at one. Late in the period, Ryan Hughes converted on the powerplay to give Portland the 2-1 lead after 40.
Portland continued their strong play into the third, heavily out shooting Vancouver. But the Giants took advantage of the few chances they had, with Ty Ronning burying his 50th of the season to tie things at two just past the midway point of the third. Ronning then put the Giants up 3-2, on a wicked wrister from the right circle with under three minutes remaining.
Portland pulled their goaltender and had several chances to tie it but could not solve David Tendeck, who ended up making 47 saves in the game. The Giants ended up putting home an empty-netter to make it a 4-2 final for Vancouver.
Cole Kehler made 15 saves in the game.
- 1st @ 1:30 – VAN – Dawson Holt (21), Bowen Bryam, James Malm
- 2nd @ 2:49 – POR – Reece Newkirk (5), Lukus MacKenzie, Conor MacEachern
- 2nd @ 17:02 – POR – Ryan Hughes (12), Henri Jokiharju, Alex Overhardt (PP)
- 2nd @ 10:25 – VAN – Ty Ronning (50), Tyler Popowich, Bowen Bryam
- 3rd @ 17:32 – VAN – Ty Ronning (51)
- 3rd @ 19:30 – VAN – Brayden Watts (13)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Cole Kehler with 15 saves
VAN: David Tendeck with 47 saves