Portland Winterhawks (1) vs Seattle Thunderbirds (5)
ShoWare Center– Kent, WA– Saturday, March 17th
The Thunderbirds took advantage of a penalty filled contest, as Seattle took down Portland 5-1 at the ShoWare Center in Kent.
Seattle got on the board 3:41 into the first period on a point-shot from Reece Harsch to make it 1-0 Thunderbirds. Then, with under five minutes left in the frame, Austin Strand converted on a one-timer on the powerplay to make it 2-0 Seattle.
In the second, the Hawks nearly got back within one on a shorthanded two-on-one with Alex Overhardt and Cody Glass, but Portland couldn’t convert. With 4:08 remaining in the period, it was another Seattle defender, Turner Ottenbreit, burying a loose-puck in the crease to make it 3-0 Seattle heading into the third.
In the final frame, Henri Jokiharju got the Hawks on the board on a shot from the blue-line to make it 3-1. For Jokiharju, it was his third straight game with a goal. But Seattle would would come right back, scoring on the power-play with 6:40 left in the third to go up 4-1. Seattle would add one more late to make it a 5-1 final. Combined between the two teams, there were 15 powerplays in the game.
The Hawks end up taking the season-series versus Seattle 8-1-1-2.
The Winterhawks return home Sunday night as they take on the Spokane Chiefs at the Moda Center. Tickets on sale here, and single game and group tickets now on sale.
- 1st @ 3:41 – SEA – Reece Harsch (10), Matthew Wedman, Sami Moilanen
- 1st @ 15:50 – SEA – Austin Strand (25), Donovan Neuls, Turner Ottenbreit (PP)
- 2nd @15:52 – SEA – Turner Ottenbreit (9), Matthew Wedman, Nolan Volcan
- 3rd @ 11:37 – POR – Henri Jokiharju (12), Kieffer Bellows, Cody Glass (PP)
- 3rd @ 14:20 – SEA – Zack Andrusiak (35), Donovan Neuls, Austin Strand (PP)
- 3rd @ 16:10 – SEA – Donovan Neuls (22), Dilion Hamaliuk, Zack Andrusiak
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Cole Kehler 25 saves
SEA: Liam Hughes with 27 saves