Portland Winterhawks 4 vs Kelowna Rockets 2 – Round 2, Game 3
Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Portland, OR – Tuesday, April 11th
The Portland Winterhawks earned a 4-2 victory over the Kelowna Rockets in Game 3 of the second-round playoff series at Veterans Memorial Coliseum Tuesday. Portland’s win closes the series down to a 2-1 Kelowna advantage, with both teams having won their home games thus far.
Joachim Blichfeld has goals in back to back games, getting the Hawks on the board first in Game 3 with his fourth goal of the playoffs. Blichfeld added an assist to finish with two points in the victory, while defenseman Caleb Jones scored his first goal of the postseason and registered an assist of his own.
Skyler McKenzie also notched his fourth playoff goal with his shorthanded effort late in the second, while Ryan Hughes picked up two assists in the contest. Winterhawks goaltender Cole Kehler made 28 saves on the 30 shots he faced from Kelowna.
The series will continue with Game 4 tomorrow night at Veterans Memorial Coliseum at 7 pm.
- 1st @ 4:06 – Evan Weinger (Hughes) opens the scoring. (POR 1 – KEL 0)
- 1st @ 11:23 – (PP) Calvin Thurkauf (Gardiner, Lind) nets a power play goal to tie it at 1-1 for the Rockets. (POR 1 – KEL 1)
- 2nd @ 5:29 – (PP) Joachim Blichfeld (Glass, Jones) pokes the puck past Kelowna goaltender Michael Herringer on the power play to put the Hawks up 2-1. (POR 2 – KEL 1)
- 2nd @ 16:41 – Caleb Jones (Blichfeld, Hughes) fires the puck past Herringer for a 3-1 lead. (POR 3 – KEL 1)
- 2nd @ 19:03 – (SH) Skyler McKenzie extends Portland’s lead to 4-1 with a shorthanded goal. (POR 4 – KEL 1)
- 3rd @ 18:33 – (PP) Thurkauf (Johansen, Gardiner) scores his second of the night to cut it to 4-2, but it wouldn’t be enough as the Hawks skated away with the Game 3 win. (POR 4 – KEL 2)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 1/5
- KEL: 2/4
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 30
- KEL: 30
- POR: Cole Kehler made 28 saves on 30 Kelowna shots.
- KEL: Michael Herringer made 26 saves on 30 Portland shots.