Portland Winterhawks 5 vs Prince George Cougars 4
Moda Center – Portland, OR – Wednesday, March 8th
The Portland Winterhawks (36-26-1-3) clinched a playoff spot with a 5-4 win over the Prince George Cougars (42-21-3-2) Wednesday at the Moda Center.
With the two points from tonight’s victory and Spokane’s loss to Everett, the Hawks clinched their eighth consecutive playoff berth. Portland trails Tri-City by three points for third in the U.S. Division, sitting in the second Wild Card spot just three points behind Victoria.
Cody Glass propelled the Hawks’ victory with two goals and two assists for a four-point night, extending his point streak to four games. Captain Keegan Iverson continued his hot streak with his fourth consecutive multi-point game, while Caleb Jones and Henri Jokiharju each tallied two assists in the win.
The Hawks hit the road to Spokane for a contest with the Chiefs at 7 pm Friday, opening another three games in three nights weekend.
- 1st @ 5:36 – Cody Glass (Iverson, Jones) opens the scoring for Portland with a nifty goal scored on his backhand. (POR 1 – PG 0)
- 1st @ 8:53 – Skyler McKenzie (Glass, Texeira) beats Prince George netminder Ty Edmonds for a 2-0 lead. (POR 2 – PG 0)
- 1st @ 13:08 – (PP) Prince George’s Aaron Boyd (Bondra, Gabrielle) cuts it to 2-1 with a power play goal. (POR 2 – PG 1)
- 1st @ 18:48 – Brendan Guhle (Bondra, Harkins) evens the game at 2-2 for Prince George. (POR 2 – PG 2)
- 2nd @ 0:56 – (PP) Jesse Gabrielle (Guhle, Popugaev) gives the Cougars a 3-2 lead with a power play goal. (POR 2 – PG 3)
- 2nd @ 11:56 – Winterhawks captain Keegan Iverson (Glass, Jokiharju) ties it at 3-3. (POR 3 – PG 3)
- 3rd @ 3:43 – With the teams playing 4-on-4, Glass (Jones) nets his second of the night for a 4-3 Portland lead. (POR 4 – PG 3)
- 3rd @ 8:09 – Joachim Blichfeld (Jokiharju) fires a one-timer past Edmonds for a 5-3 lead. (POR 5 – PG 3)
- 3rd @ 8:44 – Prince George’s Colby McAuley (Bondra) gets the Cougars within one 35 seconds later, but it wasn’t enough as the Hawks skated away with the 5-4 win. (POR 5 – PG 4)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 0/4
- PG: 2/5
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 38
- PG: 33
- POR: Cole Kehler made a 29 saves on 33 Prince George shots.
- PG: Ty Edmonds made 33 saves on 38 Portland shots.