Hawks Battle with Seattle but come up Short
Portland Winterhawks (3) vs Seattle Thunderbirds (5)
ShoWare Center- Kent, WA– Saturday, September 22nd
Portland’s comeback falls a little short against the Thunderbirds in the WHL season opener.
In the first period, the Seattle Thunderbirds leading scorer from a season ago scored his first of the season on the power play 11:11 into the frame. The Winterhawks responded with a power play goal of their own a few minutes later. Joachim Blichfeld got a warm welcome back to the Pacific Northwest with a clap bomb at the top of the right circle.
Seattle broke loose in the second, scoring three unanswered in the first 6:03 of the period. The Winterhawks came out ignited in the third and rode the momentum from rookie Seth Jarvis, who netted his first two Western Hockey League goals.
On his first of the period, Michal Kvasnica intercepted a puck at the blue line and played it ahead to Cross Hanas who made a nifty play to find Jarvis back door. Six minutes later, Nick Cicek sprung Seth Jarvis up the wing for a 2-on-1 rush and Jarvis snapped a wrister to the glove-side corner of the net.
The Winterhawks were unable to complete the comeback as Seattle buried an empty net to seal it in 5-3 fashion.
The Winterhawks take on the Everett Silvertips tomorrow night on the road at the Angels of the Winds Arena at 4:05 pm. The Hawks home opener is on September 29th against the Seattle Thunderbirds at the Moda Center. Individual tickets are now on sale. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
- 1st @ 11:11 – SEA – Nolan Volcan (1), Zack Andrusiak, Andrrej Kukuca
- 1st @ 15:45 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (1), Reece Newkirk, Jared Freadrich (PP)
- 2nd @ 0:50- SEA – Zack Andrusiak (1), Dillon Hamaluik
- 2nd @ 5:15 – SEA – Owen Williams (1), Zack Andrusiak
- 2nd @ 6:03 – SEA – Matthew Wedman (1), Dillon Hamaluik
- 3rd @ 5:29 – POR – Seth Jarvis (1), Cross Hanas, Michal Kvasnica
- 3rd @ 12:10 – POR – Seth Jarvis (2), Nick Cieck, Matthew Quigley
- 3rd @ 19:34 – SEA – Dillon Hanaluik (1) (EN)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 30 saves
EVT: Liam Hughes with 30 saves