Hawks Battle in Game One But Fall in O.T to Spokane
Portland Winterhawks (3) vs Spokane Chiefs (4)
Veterans Memorial Coliseum– Portland, OR– Saturday, March 24th
The Winterhawks came-back from one goal down three times against the Chiefs to send game one to overtime, but it was Luke Toporowski scoring 2:15 into the extra-frame to win it for Spokane.
It was the Chiefs who got on the board first. Spokane defender Nolan Reid wired one past Cole Kehler to make it 1-0 Chiefs.
The score would remain that way until the second period, when Dennis Cholowski took a sweet feed from Cody Glass to tie things at one. But just 24 seconds later, Riley Woods gave Spokane a one-goal lead once again after burying a Jake McGrew pass from below the goal-line. Portland would come right back however, as just over four minutes later, defenseman Henri Jokiharju fired a shot past Chiefs goaltender Bailey Brkin to make it 2-2. But again the Chiefs would take the lead, this time Hudson Elynuik got one past Kehler to give Spokane the 3-2 lead. With under three minutes left in the period, Dennis Cholowski scored on a gorgeous wrap-around goal, for his second of the game, to tie things at three.
The third period was scoreless and the two teams would head to overtime. In the extra-frame, Kieffer Bellows nearly won it for Portland in the first minute, but Brkin denied him on the doorstep to keep the Chiefs in it. Moments later, Luke Toporowki drove towards the Hawks net and backhanded the puck off the stick of Henri Jokiharju and in. With the goal, the Chiefs take a 1-0 advantage in the best-of-seven first round series.
Cole Kehler made 35 saves on the night for Portland.
- 1st @ 18:32 – SPO – Nolan Reid (1), Riley Woods, Luke Toporowski
- 2nd @ :43 – POR – Dennis Cholowski (1), Cody Glass, Kieffer Bellows (PP)
- 2nd @ 1:07 – SPO – Riley Woods, Jake McGrew, Luke Toporowski
- 2nd @ 5:51 – POR – Henri Jokiharju (1), Lane Gilliss, Jake Gricius
- 2nd @ 11:55 – SPO – Hudson Elynuik (1), Riley Woods, Eli Zummack (PP)
- 2nd @ 17:02 – POR – Dennis Cholowski (2), Kieffer Bellows, Jake Gricius
- OT @ 2:15 – SPO – Luke Toporowski (1), Flilip Kral
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Cole Kehler 35 saves
SPO: Bailey Brkin with 36 saves