Portland Winterhawks 2 at Kelowna Rockets 4 – Round 2, Game 1
Prospera Place – Kelowna, BC – Friday, April 7th
The Portland Winterhawks fell 4-2 to the Kelowna Rockets in Game 1 of the second-round playoff series at Prospera Place in Kelowna, BC, Friday.
Rookie forward Brad Ginnell notched his second career playoff goal tonight to get the Hawks on the board midway through the third period. With Cole Kehler on the bench for an extra attacker, Cody Glass registered his third goal of the postseason for seven points in seven playoff games so far.
The Hawks will take the ice again at Prospera Place tomorrow night at 7:05 pm for Game 2 of the Western Conference Semifinals.
- 2nd @ 3:42 – Calvin Thurkauf (Merkley, Gardiner) opens the scoring for the Kelowna Rockets. (KEL 1 – POR 0)
- 2nd @ 4:32 – Kole Lind (Foote, Hilsendager) makes it 2-0 for the Rockets 50 seconds later. (KEL 2 – POR 0)
- 2nd @ 5:17 – Reid Gardiner (Thurkauf, Hilsendager) extends Kelowna’s lead to 3-0 just over a minute later. (KEL 3 – POR 0)
- 2nd @ 16:08 – (PP) Dillon Dube (Thurkauf, Lind) nets a power play goal to put Kelowna up 4-0. (KEL 4 – POR 0)
- 3rd @ 10:50 – Brad Ginnell (De Jong, Gricius) bangs a rebound past Kelowna goaltender Michael Herringer to cut the deficit to 4-1. (KEL 4 – POR 1)
- 3rd @ 17:34 – (PP) With Cole Kehler on the bench for an extra attacker, Cody Glass (McKenzie, Jokiharju) sneaks the puck past Herringer to get the Hawks within two goals but it wouldn’t be enough as the Rockets skate away with the 4-2 win. (KEL 4 – POR 2)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 1/5
- KEL: 1/4
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 29
- KEL: 54
- POR: Cole Kehler made 50 saves on 54 Kelowna shots.
- KEL: Michael Herringer made 27 saves on 29 Portland shots.