Ryan Hughes Scores 3rd OT Winner This Season to Defeat Vancouver 5-4 Friday
Portland Winterhawks 5 vs Vancouver Giants 4 (OT)
Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Portland, OR – Friday, March 3rd
Ryan Hughes scored in overtime to give the Portland Winterhawks (34-26-1-3) a 5-4 victory over the Vancouver Giants (19-40-3-3) Friday at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Captain Keegan Iverson continued his torrid play tonight with a goal and an assist on the overtime winner. Iverson has hit the scoresheet in all but one game since returning to the Winterhawks lineup on February 13th, and is currently riding a four-game point streak with three goals and two assists in that time.
With his goal tonight, Matt Revel has found the back of the net in back-to-back games against the Giants. Revel, who was acquired from Kamloops at this year’s trade deadline and returned from injury February 24, posted those two goals in just three games with the Winterhawks. Cody Glass also finished with two assists for three points in the past two games.
The Hawks take the ice at Veterans Memorial Coliseum again tomorrow night, hosting the Vancouver Giants to close out the regular season series between the two teams at 6 pm.
- 2nd @ 0:47 – After a scoreless first period, captain Keegan Iverson (Glass, McKenzie) opens the scoring. (POR 1 – VAN 0)
- 2nd @ 7:41 – Vancouver’s Ty Ronning (Jones) evens the game at 1-1. (POR 1 – VAN 1)
- 2nd @ 8:32 – Jack Flaman (Spencer) extends the Giants’ lead to 2-1. (POR 1 – VAN 2)
- 2nd @ 10:50 – (PP) Skyler McKenzie (Glass) ties it at 2-2 with a power play goal. (POR 2 – VAN 2)
- 2nd @ 15:33 – Brad Ginnell (Veloso, De Jong) bangs the puck past Vancouver netminder Ryan Kubic for a 3-2 lead. (POR 3 – VAN 2)
- 3rd @ 16:37 – Matt Revel (Blichfeld) snipes a shot past Kubic for a 4-2 Portland lead. (POR 4 – VAN 2)
- 3rd @ 18:40 – Jordan Wharrie (Wesley, Flaman) cuts it to 4-3 for the Giants. (POR 4 – VAN 3)
- 3rd @ 19:18 – Vancouver’s Jordan Borstmayer (Ronning) knots it at 4-4 with 42 seconds left in the third period to set up the extra frame. (POR 4 – VAN 4)
- OT @ 1:44 – Ryan Hughes (Iverson) slides it past Kubic for his third overtime winner of the season. (POR 5 – VAN 4)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 1/3
- VAN: 0/3
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 42
- VAN: 31
- POR: Cole Kehler made 27 saves on 31 Vancouver shots.
- VAN: Ryan Kubic made 37 saves on 42 Portland shots.