Portland Winterhawks 5 vs Spokane Chiefs 4 (SO)
Moda Center – Portland, OR – Friday, February 10th
Joachim Blichfeld scored in a shootout as the Portland Winterhawks (30-22-1-2) defeated the Spokane Chiefs (22-23-6-3) 5-4 at the Moda Center Friday in front of a crowd of 8,388 fans.
Blichfeld, tonight’s shootout hero, also contributed two goals in the victory including the game-tying goal with four and a half minutes remaining in regulation in this comeback. With these goals, Blichfeld extended his point streak to four games. Defenseman Henri Jokiharju finished the night with a goal and two assists, while forward Alex Overhardt posted his third consecutive two-point night with two assists, extending his own streak to four games.
The Hawks hit the road tomorrow night to take on rival Seattle Thunderbirds at 7:05 p.m. in a game that will be broadcast live on Portland’s CW. Then, they will travel to British Columbia for a 2 p.m. matinee game in Kamloops Monday afternoon.
- 1st @ 5:12 – Spokane’s Hudson Elynuik (Ostir) opens the scoring. (SPO 1 – POR 0)
- 1st @ 15:06 – (SH) Cody Glass (McKenzie) scores a shorthanded breakaway goal to tie the game at 1-1. (SPO 1 – POR 1)
- 1st @ 15:50 – Taylor Ross (Mowbray) deflects in a shot from Alex Mowbray 46 seconds later for a 2-1 lead. (SPO 2 – POR 1)
- 2nd @ 3:34 – (PP) Keanu Yamamoto (Elynuik, Ka. Yamamoto) scores a power play goal to put the Chiefs up 3-1. (SPO 3 – POR 1)
- 2nd @ 5:04 – Henri Jokiharju (Overhardt) fires a slapshot past Spokane netminder Dawson Weatherill to cut the Chiefs’ lead to one. (SPO 3 – POR 2)
- 2nd @ 12:02 – Jaret Anderson-Dolan (Ke. Yamamoto, Ka. Yamamoto) extends the Spokane lead to 4-2. Cole Kehler replaces Shane Farkas in the Portland net. (SPO 4 – POR 2)
- 3rd @ 7:51 – Joachim Blichfeld (Jokiharju) roofs the puck past Weatherill to cut the deficit to 4-3. (SPO 4 – POR 3)
- 3rd @ 15:31 – Blichfeld (Overhardt, Jokiharju) nets his second of the night to tie the game at 4-4 to set up the extra frame. (SPO 4 – POR 4)
- SO: After neither team found the back of the net in overtime, Blichfeld scored in the first round, while Kehler blanked each Spokane attempt to seal the shootout victory for Portland.
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 0/2
- SPO: 1/4
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 50
- SPO: 34
- POR: Shane Farkas made 13 saves on 17 Spokane shots. Cole Kehler made 17 saves on 17 shots in relief.
- SPO: Dawson Weatherill made 46 saves on 50 Portland shots.