Portland Winterhawks 5 at Seattle Thunderbirds 8
ShoWare Center – Kent, WA – Saturday, February 11th
The Portland Winterhawks (30-23-1-2) fell 8-5 to the Seattle Thunderbirds (35-15-3-2) Saturday in a road contest played in Kent, WA.
Joachim Blichfeld struck twice for Portland tonight, pitching in two key goals in back-to-back games for the Hawks including last night’s shootout winner. Blichfeld’s two goals tonight also extended his point streak to five games with eight points in that span.
Cody Glass finished with a goal and two assists for three points against the Thunderbirds, extending his own streak to six points in the past three games. Glass, who reached his 100th career WHL point last Wednesday in Spokane, leads the Winterhawks in scoring with 77 points this season.
The Hawks will now cross the border into British Columbia for a matinee matchup with the Kamloops Blazers at 2 p.m. Monday.
- 1st @ 1:39 – Seattle’s Tyler Adams (Barzal) opens the scoring. (SEA 1 – POR 0)
- 1st @ 4:02 – Jake Gricius (Texeira) bangs in a rebound to even the game at 1-1. (SEA 1 – POR 1)
- 1st @ 5:33 – Cody Glass (De Jong) beats Seattle netminder Rylan Toth top shelf to give Portland a 2-1 lead. (SEA 1 – POR 2)
- 1st @ 6:38 – Mathew Barzal (Gropp, Bear) gets one back for the Thunderbirds to tie it at 2-2. (SEA 2 – POR 2)
- 1st @ 18:48 – Reece Harsch (Barzal, Kolesar) puts Seattle up 3-2 in this back-and-forth first period. (SEA 3 – POR 2)
- 2nd @ 3:27 – (SH) Seattle’s Alexander True extends the Thunderbirds’ lead to 4-2 with a shorthanded goal. (SEA 4 – POR 2)
- 2nd @ 7:47 – (PP) With the Thunderbirds on a 5-on-3 power play, Keegan Kolesar (Bear, Barzal) makes it 5-2 for Seattle. (SEA 5 – POR 2)
- 2nd @ 9:16 – Joachim Blichfeld (Hughes, Colina) scores a wraparound goal to cut the deficit to 5-3. (SEA 5 – POR 3)
- 2nd @ 14:51 – (PP) Blichfeld (Glass, Jokiharju) nets his second of the night on the power play to bring the Hawks within one goal. (SEA 5 – POR 4)
- 3rd @ 10:30 – (PP) Ethan Bear (Barzal, Neuls) gives Seattle a two-goal advantage with a power play marker. (SEA 6 – POR 4)
- 3rd @ 11:16 – Skyler McKenzie (Glass) hammers in a shot off his faceoff win to cut it to 6-5. (SEA 6 – POR 5)
- 3rd @ 11:49 – Seattle’s Ryan Gropp (Kolesar, Bear) regains the two-goal lead just 33 seconds later. (SEA 7 – POR 5)
- 3rd @ 18:10 – (EN) Gropp (Barzal, Hyman) scores an empty net goal to extend the Seattle lead to 8-5 which would stand as the final.
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 1/5
- SEA: 2/4
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 34
- SEA: 28
- POR: Cole Kehler made 20 saves on 27 Seattle shots.
- SEA: Rylan Toth made 29 saves on 34 Portland shots.