Prince George won the third period on Saturday night, beating the Hawks 5-2. It was the Cougars’ first win against the Winterhawks this season.
The first period of play featured 30 combined saves and four power play opportunities. Joel Hofer was busy making 19 stops though the first 20 minutes.
Both teams broke through offensively in the second period as defensemen Clay Hanus and Austin Crossley exchanged blows within six minutes of each other.
Prince George swung the game in their favor when they scored three unanswered, third period goals to go up 4-1. Portland put a good amount of pressure on Taylor Gauthier late in the game, which resulted in Cross Hanas scoring his first goal since February 2. The Cougars held on and scored an empty net insurance marker to win 5-2.
Prince George won the special teams category in the third period and used a couple of big time saves from Gauthier to fuel their win and end their 13-game losing streak at the CN Centre.
As the Winterhawks enter the final week of the regular season, they prepare for home games on Tuesday night against Everett and Sunday, March 17 against Seattle.
- Clay Hanus scored his seventh goal of the season to give the Hawks an early second period lead. All seven of his goals are on the road.
- Reece Newkirk got his 33rd assist of the year, third most on the Hawks.
- Josh Paterson extends his point streak with three straight games with a primary assist on the Cross Hanas goal.
- Joel Hofer had a busy weekend stopping 84 of 90 shots.
- Since Joel Hofer stopped over 25 shots, you can take advantage of the Papa John’s 30% discount using the promo code SAVES25 at your locally owned PapaJohns.com all day tomorrow.
- Prince George’s Josh Maser netted two third period goals to set a new career-high with 30 on the season. It extends his point streak to eight straight games and was his third multi-goal game of the season.
- Vladislav Mikhalchuk notched a pair of points to end his nine game scoreless stretch.
THE BOX SCORE (Click the hyperlink to find all the scoring details)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Joel Hofer with 44 saves.
PG: Taylor Gauthier with 37 saves.