Portland Winterhawks (5) vs Vancouver Giants (3)
Moda Center- Portland, OR– Friday, October 19th
Portland scored four unanswered goals at the Moda Center to earn their third home win of the season and break the Giants eight-game point streak.
It was an up-tempo first period that resulted in two power play goals. The Winterhawks faithful of 5,568 made their presence shown from the opening puck drop and the Hawks rewarded them with a pair of prime scoring chances in tight just minutes into the game.
Portland’s first goal came at the 13:22 mark on the man advantage. Forward Jake Gricius tipped in a Joachim Blichfeld snapshot to give the Hawks the first lead of the night. Vancouver’s leading scorer James Malm wasted little time getting on the score sheet. He found the equalizer with under a minute to play in the frame.
There was no shortage of offense in the second frame. The Giants scored two quick ones thanks to rookie Justin Sourdif and Bowen Byram to jump out to a 3-1 lead. Portland would not go away quietly. Just shy of the midway point of regulation, Gricius buries his second power play goal of the night with a nifty outside in move at the top of the crease.
The rest of the game belonged to the Hawks. After the media timeout in the third period, Ryan Hughes set up a rink-wide feed to Cody Glass who scored on a sharp angle one-timer to tie the game at three apiece. Glass stretched his point streak to eight straight games with a two point performance. A minute and ten seconds later, Reece Newkirk drilled in his seventh of the season to complete the comeback effort. Ryan Hughes tacked on an empty net goal to seal the 5-3 win.
The Hawks travel to Langley, BC for a game Saturday night against Vancouver at 7:00 p.m. The next home games will come on Saturday, October 27th and Sunday, October 28th against the Kamloops Blazers. Individual tickets are now on sale. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
- 1st @ 13:22 – POR – Jake Gricius (6), Joachim Blichfeld, Jared Freadrich (PP)
- 1st @ 19:06 – VAN – James Malm (9), Dylan Plouffe, Davis Koch (PP)
- 2nd @ 2:58 – VAN – Justin Sourdif (3)
- 2nd @ 4:39 – VAN – Bowen Byram (5), Yannik Valenti, Tyler Ho
- 2nd @ 9:45 – POR – Jake Gricus (7), Cody Glass, Jared Freadrich
- 3rd @ 12:29 – POR – Cody Glass (4), Ryan Hughes, Joachim Blichfeld
- 3rd @ 13:39 – POR – Reece Newkirk (7), Matthew Quigley, Seth Jarvis
- 3rd @ 18:57 – POR – Ryan Hughes (3), Mason Mannek, Jake Gricius (EN)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 22 saves
VAN: David Tendeck with 21 saves