Colton Veloso’s Two Goals Lead Hawks to 4-1 Victory Over Seattle
Portland Winterhawks 4 at Seattle Thunderbirds 1
ShoWare Center – Kent, WA – Saturday, March 18th
The Portland Winterhawks (40-27-1-3) earned a 4-1 victory over the Seattle Thunderbirds (49-20-4-2) in a road contest played in Kent, WA.
Winterhawks goaltender Cole Kehler stood tall in net tonight, turning away 31 of 32 shots he faced from the Thunderbirds en route to Portland’s third consecutive win. It was also Kehler’s eighth straight win.
Colton Veloso propelled the Hawks’ offense in the victory with a three-point night, the first of his career. Veloso put up two goals and added an assist on Alex Overhardt’s third period insurance goal. Overhardt also registered a helper for his own two-point night.
The Hawks finish out the 2016-17 regular season tomorrow night at Veterans Memorial Coliseum when they host the Spokane Chiefs at 5 pm.
- 1st @ 17:57 – Colton Veloso (Gilliss, Jones) opens the scoring with a backhand goal. (POR 1 – SEA 0)
- 2nd @ 6:16 – Veloso (Overhardt, Hughes) beats Seattle netminder Matt Berlin for his second of the night. (POR 2 – SEA 0)
- 2nd @ 10:15 – Seattle’s Ryan Gropp (Eansor, Brown) cuts Portland’s lead to 2-1. (POR 2 – SEA 1)
- 3rd @ 3:39 – Alex Overhardt (Veloso, De Jong) fires the puck past Berlin for a 3-1 lead. (POR 3 – SEA 1)
- 3rd @ 19:21 – (EN) Keoni Texeira ices the Hawks’ 4-1 win over Seattle. (POR 4 – SEA 1)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 0/2
- SEA: 0/3
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 41
- SEA: 32
- POR: Cole Kehler made 31 saves on 32 Seattle shots.
- SEA: Matt Berlin made 37 saves on 40 Portland shots.