Portland Winterhawks (4) vs Spokane Chiefs (5)
Veterans Memorial Coliseum– Portland, OR– Saturday, March 31st
Kailer Yamamoto scored 9:19 into the overtime frame to lead Spokane to a 5-4 win over Portland in Game 5 at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Portland now leads the series 3-2.
Portland got on the board first in the opening period, with Mason Mannek scoring his second of the postseason 9:20 in. Spokane’s Riley Woods would tie things at one just over three minutes later. But the Hawks would retake the lead late in the period, with Skyler McKenzie finding Cody Glass on the rush, who then beat Dawson Weatherill over the right shoulder. Portland would carry the 2-1 lead into the first intermission.
In the second, Hudson Elynuik beat Cole Kehler to tie things at two. But 19 seconds later, Ryan Hughes squeaked one by Weatherill to give the Hawks a one-goal lead once again.
Jake McGrew would tie things for Spokane in the third, knocking home a rebound at the side of the goal to make it 3-3. It would remain that way until there was 6:27 left in the third period, when Dennis Cholowski beat Weatherill up high to give Portland the late lead. The Chiefs would pull their netminder, and with 31 seconds remaining, a Nolan Reid shot from the blueline went off Alex Overhardt and past Kehler. The two teams would head to overtime for the second time this series.
In the extra-frame, it was Kailer Yamamoto playing hero, firing one shelf on Kehler just before the 10:00 minute mark, to give Spokane the win. With the Chiefs victory, the series is now 3-2 Portland.
Game 6 is Monday, April 2nd in Spokane at the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena.
Tickets on sale here, and single game and group tickets now on sale.
- 1st @ 9:20 – POR – Mason Mannek (2), Conor MacEachern
- 1st @ 12:38 – SPO- Riley Woods (2), Jake McGrew, Eli Zummack (PP)
- 1st @ 16:10 – POR – Cody Glass (2), Skyler McKenzie
- 2nd @ 12:38 – SPO – Hudson Elynuik (3), Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Ethan McIndoe
- 2nd @ 12:57 – POR – Ryan Hughes (1), Joachim Blichfeld, Matthew Quigley
- 3rd @ 5:05 – SPO- Jake McGrew (1), Jaret Anderson- Dolan, Tyson Helgesen
- 3rd @ 13:33 – POR – Dennis Cholowski (4), Kieffer Bellows, Cody Glass
- 3rd @ 19:30 – SPO – Nolan Reid (2), Ty Smith, Hudson Elynuik
- OT @ 9:19 – SPO – Kailer Yamamoto (1), Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Nolan Reid
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Cole Kehler 49 saves
SPO: Dawson Weatherill with 40 saves