Blichfeld and Hughes Find Back of the Net, but Kelowna Skate Away with 5-2 Win in Game 2; Rockets Lead Series 2-0
Portland Winterhawks 2 at Kelowna Rockets 5 – Round 2, Game 2
Prospera Place – Kelowna, BC – Saturday, April 8th
The Portland Winterhawks fell 5-2 to the Kelowna Rockets in Game 2 of the second-round playoff series at Prospera Place in Kelowna, BC, Saturday. With the win, the Rockets have taken a 2-0 series lead to preserve the home ice advantage heading to Portland for Games 3 and 4.
Forwards Joachim Blichfeld and Ryan Hughes found the back of the net tonight for their third goals of the postseason, while Colton Veloso added an assist for his fourth playoff point. Winterhawks goaltender Cole Kehler made 38 saves on the 41 shots he faced from the Rockets.
The series will now move to Portland for Games 3 and 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday. Game 3 will be played Tuesday at Veterans Memorial Coliseum at 7 pm.
- 2nd @ 7:33 – After a scoreless first period, Kole Lind (Dube, Gardiner) opens the scoring for the Rockets. (KEL 1 – POR 0)
- 2nd @ 9:56 – (PP) Kelowna’s Tomas Soustal (Johansen, Merkley) deflects the puck in on the power play for a 2-0 advantage. (KEL 2 – POR 0)
- 2nd @ 18:50 – Joachim Blichfeld (Veloso) fires it past Kelowna goaltender Michael Herringer to cut it to one goal late in the second period. (KEL 2 – POR 1)
- 3rd @ 14:07 – James Hilsendager (Dube, Twarynski) gives the Rockets a 3-1 lead. (KEL 3 – POR 1)
- 3rd @ 18:40 – (EN) Nick Merkley (Gardiner) extends Kelowna’s lead to 4-1 with an empty net goal. (KEL 4 – POR 1)
- 3rd @ 19:20 – Ryan Hughes cuts it to 4-2 with 40 seconds left. (KEL 4 – POR 2)
- 3rd @ 19:33 – (EN) Merkley fires home his second empty net goal of the night 13 seconds later to seal Kelowna’s 5-2 win in Game 2. (KEL 5 – POR 2)
Power Play Statistics:
- POR: 25
- KEL: 43
Shots on Goal:
- POR: 0/3
- KEL: 1/7
- POR: Cole Kehler made 38 saves on 41 Kelowna shots.
- KEL: Michael Herringer made 23 saves on 25 Portland shots.