Portland Winterhawks (7) vs Seattle Thunderbirds (4)
ShoWare Center– Kent, WA– Sunday, March 4th
Kieffer Bellows recorded his first career Western Hockey League hat-trick as Portland took down Seattle 7-4 in Kent.
Portland got things started early, with Bellows finishing off a gorgeous passing play from Cody Glass and Skyler McKenzie. Portland then went up 2-0 on a goal from Jake Gricius at 5:25 into the period, his 13th of the season. Cody Glass extended the Hawks lead to three when he beat Dorrin Luding for his 34th of the year with just under 10 minutes left in the period. Seattle would add one late to make it 3-1 after 20 minutes. Shane Farkas had his shutout streak snapped at 168 minutes on the Seattle goal.
In the third, Bellows picked up his second goal of the night on the powerplay to give Portland a 4-1 lead. Under three minutes later, it was Bellows again tipping home a Henri Jokiharju shot for his third of the night. On the goal, Glass picked up his third assist of the night and fourth point. Seattle would chip in another to make it 5-2 after two periods.
In the third, Nolan Volcan buried his second of the night 10:12 into the period to make it 5-3. Then, Zach Andrusiak potted his 30th of the season to make it a one goal game with just over three minutes to play. But Ryan Hughes would bury an empty-netter with 47 seconds remaining to put the game away. A late marker from Brendan De Jong would make it a 7-4 final.
Shane Farkas made 32 saves to record his eighth straight win. Portland improved to 40-20-1-4 on the season. The contest was also Head Coach Mike Johnston’s 500th career regular season game behind the bench in the WHL.
The Winterhawks head to Prince George for back-to-back games Tuesday and Wednesday and return home Saturday against the Tri-City Americans for the 1998 Memorial Cup Reunion and Hall of Fame induction. Tickets on sale here, and single game and group tickets now on sale.
- 1st @ 1:03 – POR – Kieffer Bellows (36), Cody Glass, Skyler McKenzie
- 1st @ 5:25 – POR – Jake Gricius (13), Lane Gilliss, Mason Mannek
- 1st @10:29 – POR- Cody Glass (34), Henri Jokiharju, Keoni Texeira
- 1st @ 15:42 – SEA – Mike MacLean (2), Reece Harsch, Holden Katzalay
- 2nd @ 2:10 – POR – Kieffer Bellows (37), Cody Glass, Henri Jokiharju (PP)
- 2nd @ 4:08 – POR – Kieffer Bellows (38), Henri Jokiharju, Cody Glass
- 2nd @ 8:06 – SEA – Nolan Volcan (28), Donovan Neuls, Austin Strand (PP)
- 3rd @ 10:12 – SEA – Nolan Volcan (29), Austin Strand
- 3rd @ 16:41 – SEA – Zack Andrusiak (30), Austin Strand, Noah Philp
- 3rd @ 19:13 – POR – Ryan Hughes (16), (EN)
- 3rd @ 19:41 – POR – Brendan DeJong (4)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 32 saves
SEA: Dorrin Ludding with 31 saves