Hawks Ring in 2019 with a Win
Portland Winterhawks (6) vs Seattle Thunderbirds (3)
Moda Center, Portland, OR– Monday, December 31st
The Hawks won their second straight game against the Thunderbirds in front of a sold out crowd of 10,282. Portland scored five unanswered to win 6-3 on New Year’s Eve.
Seattle took control of the first period thanks to a career weekend from Zack Andrusiak. He started the offense at the midway point of the period, but the Hawks would go on to tie it a few minutes later on the power play. Ryan Hughes skated off the wall and buried a rebound shot from Joachim Blichfeld to tie the game at 1-1.
Minutes later, Andrusiak scored on a two-on-one rush to give the Thunderbirds the lead again. They would go on and add to it before the period’s end on a Tyler Carpendale power play goal.
The rest of the night belonged to the Hawks. Thirty nine seconds into the second period, Blichfeld made an incredible pass to himself off the glass to spring himself loose behind the Seattle defense. He scored to cut into the lead. A few minutes later, Blichfeld capitalized on the power play to tie the game at 3-3.
With momentum, Lane Gilliss broke the puck into the zone with a pass to Michal Kvasnica. He deked around defenseman Owen Williams and ripped it short side for the go ahead tally. With the Moda Center on its feet, the Hawks would go on to score two more for the home fans. Jared Freadrich got an insurance marker on the power play and Seth Jarvis added one more for good measure.
Shane Farkas buckled down after the first period and stopped the last 23 shots he faced, picking up his 20th win of the season for his 32 save effort.
Portland heads to Canada to play six games in nine nights against the East Division teams. They return on January 19th for a home game against Everett in the sunset game at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The puck is set to drop at 5:00 p.m. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
- 1st @ 10:47 – SEA -Zack Andrusiak (26), Jared Davidson
- 1st @ 12:40 – POR – Ryan Hughes (17), Joachim Blichfeld, Jared Freadrich (PP)
- 1st @ 14:57 – SEA – Zack Andrusiak (27), Noah Philp, Payton Mount
- 1st @ 19:14 – SEA – Tyler Carpendale (4), Reece Harsch, Simon Kubicek (PP)
- 2nd @ 0:39 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (33), Nick Cicek, Ryan Hughes
- 2nd @ 5:59 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (34), Ryan Hughes, Jared Freadrich (PP)
- 2nd @ 8:56 – POR – Michal Kvasnica (5) Lane Gilliss, Nick Cicek
- 2nd @ 16:09 – POR – Jared Freadrich (5), Ryan Hughes, Reece Newkirk (PP)
- 3rd @ 8:03 – POR – Seth Jarvis (8), Clay Hanus, Reece Newkirk
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 32 saves
SEA: Liam Hughes 39 with saves