Late Goal Lifts Hawks to Victory over Cougars
Portland Winterhawks (4) vs Prince George Cougars (3)
CN Centre– Prince George, BC– Tuesday, March 6th
Ty Kolle scored with just over three minutes remaining in regulation to give Portland a 4-3 victory over Prince George on Tuesday.
The Hawks got off to a great start, with Joachim Blichfeld burying his 23rd of the season just before the six minute mark of the first period. Then, with under a minute left in the frame, Reece Newkirk wired home his 7th of the year to give Portland a 2-0 lead.
In the second, Portland continued to press but Cougars goaltender Taylor Gauthier made several big saves. Late in the frame, Prince George scored twice in 18 seconds to tie things at two after 40 minutes.
Just over two minutes into the third period, Skyler McKenzie beat Gauthier five-hole to give Portland a lead once again. For McKenzie, it was his 42nd goal of the season, tying his career high that he set last year. But Prince George was resilient, tying things up just 51 seconds later on a goal from Ilijah Colina. With under four minutes remaining in regulation, Lane Gilliss found Ty Kolle at the left-circle, who then buried his 7th of the season to give the Hawks the late lead. Cole Kehler would hold off the Cougars final push with an empty-net, to give Portland the 4-3 victory.
The Winterhawks continue their back-to-back games in Prince George tomorrow night and return home Saturday against the Tri-City Americans for the 1998 Memorial Cup Reunion and Hall of Fame induction. Tickets on sale here, and single game and group tickets now on sale.
- 1st @ 13:53 – POR – Joachim Blichfeld (23), Ryan Hughes, Dennis Cholowski
- 1st @ 19:03 – POR – Reece Newkirk (7), Conor MacEachern
- 2nd @ 17:13 – PG – Josh Maser (27), Josh Curtis, Joel Lakusta
- 2nd @ 17:31 – PG – Ethan Browne (1)
- 3rd @ 2:19 – POR – Skyler McKenzie (42), Cody Glass, Dennis Cholowski
- 3rd @ 3:10 – PG – Ilijah Colina (11), Ethan Browne, Vladislav Mikhalchuk
- 3rd @ 16:53 – POR – Ty Kolle (7), Lane Gilliss, Jake Gricius
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Cole Kehler with 20 saves
PG: Taylor Gauthier with 39 saves