Winterhawks Battle Thunderbirds in Overtime Thriller
Portland Winterhawks (3) at Seattle Thunderbirds (4)
ShoWare Arena– Kent, WA – Saturday, December 30th
The Winterhawks and Thunderbirds battled it out in a hard fought game that came down to the wire Saturday night, with Seattle eventually coming out on top 4-3 in overtime.
The game was scoreless after 20, but the Hawks (22-12-1-1) would get on the board first with a powerplay goal from Skyler McKenzie 44 seconds into the second period. Seattle (17-14-4-1) responded 17 seconds later to tie the game. Alex Overhardt then potted his eighth of the season, again on the powerplay, to give the Hawks a 2-1 lead heading into the third.
Seattle struck just 10 seconds into the final frame to tie things at two. But again Portland retook the lead on a goal from McKenzie, his team leading 26th of the season and second on the night. Defenseman Brendan De Jong picked up his third assist of the game on the goal. The Thunderbirds would tied things up with just under seven minutes to play to eventually send things to overtime. For Portland, it was their second straight night heading to OT.
Goaltender Cole Kehler made several incredible saves in the extra frame but eventually the Thunderbirds broke through on a goal from Jarret Tyszka that gave Seattle the victory.
In total, Kehler made 30 saves on the night. Portland played with just 11 forwards in the game, missing several key players to the World Junior Championship and injury.
The Winterhawks return home Sunday, December 31t against the Seattle Thunderbirds for their New Years Eve game. Tickets for the season opener on sale here, and single game and group tickets now on sale.
- 2nd @ 0:44 – POR -Skyler McKenzie (25), Brendan DeJong, Ryan Hughes (PP)
- 2nd @ 1:01 – SEA – Jake Lee (2), Noah Philip, Nikita Malukhin
- 2nd @ 15:14 – POR – Alex Overhardt (8), Ryan Hughes, Brendan DeJong (PP)
- 3rd @ :10 – SEA – Samuel Huo (1), Zack Andrusiak
- 3rd @ 5:10 – POR – Skyler McKenzie (26), Brendan DeJong, Clay Hanus
- 3rd @ 13:32 – SEA – Nolan Volcan (16), Zack Andrusiak, Austin Strand
- 3rd @ 3:53 OT – SEA – Jarret Tyszka (5), Matthew Wedman, Dillon Hamaliuk
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Cole Kehler with 30 saves
SEA: Liam Hughes with 30 saves